To be eligible to substitute teach in Oregon schools, a person must hold a valid Oregon Teaching License issued by Teacher Standards and Practices Commission located in Salem, Oregon.
To register to substitute teach in Malheur County Region 14 Schools, the following documents are required prior to being placed on the Substitute Teacher List:
- Valid Oregon Teaching License issued by Teacher Standards and Practices Commission.
- Oregon Statewide Teaching Application (PDF)(completed and signed).
- Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I9) (PDF) including acceptable original document(s) as listed on page 5 of the I9 Form. Original documents must be presented in person for certification of this form. Complete Section One on page 4, sign and date the form.
- Substitute Teacher Form (Word) indicating teaching preferences pertaining to school districts, subjects, and grade levels.
- HB 2062 Disclosure Release Form(s) (PDF) from three most recent educational entity employers for release of information related to any substantiated reports of child abuse, sexual conduct or crimes listed in ORS 342.143.
- Verification of completing the Annual Child Abuse Prevention Training (available online at no cost).
Instructions for Child Abuse Prevention Training: To access the free online training program, click here (Child Abuse Prevention Training). (You will be redirected to a website outside of Malheur ESD.)
- You will need your username (first initial followed by last name) and the last four digits of your SSN. Obtain these from Justine Segura via email or phone call.
- If your information is correct hit the correct button.
- In the left hand margin, select the Available Courses button.
- A list of courses will apprear, scroll down to M-216 Child Abuse Prevention.
- Click the Enroll button, then click the Take The Course Button, and then follow the directions and complete the course.
- Upon course completion, click the Your Transcript button in the left margin.
- A list of courses completed will appear, a PDF Certificate button in the right hand column, please print/save this and email/mail it to justine.seguramalesd.org (Justine Segura) and Malheur ESD.
- You are welcome to take any other courses on your own to fullfill any PDU requirements you may have. Malheur ESD is providing this service free of charge.
Please note: Each school district pays substitute teachers through the individual school district's payroll department. In order to receive payment, you must complete a W4 Form and any other required paperwork for each school district where you are a substitute teacher.
Malheur ESD Substitute PDU Information:
Within 2 business days, you will receive an email granting you access and logon information for 10 hours of PDU credit for the remainder of the calendar year. Certificates can be printed off following completion of these online classes. The directions for substitute PDU's are posted below.
ODE Website and Directions for Renewal (External Link)
Substitute Request For PDU's (Word)
PDU's Verification Log (PDF)
The Malheur ESD office hours are 8:00am to 4:00pm Monday through Friday (excluding holidays as per the ESD Calendar (PDF)).
For additional information regarding substitute teacher registration, please e-mail justine.seguramalesd.org (Justine Segura) or call (541) 473-4821